It’s been just over a month now since the launch of Sheila Applegate’s book: Enchanted One, The Portal to Love. As someone married to an author, I know first-hand just how time consuming and sometimes all-consuming writing and promoting a book can be. It can be exhausting. But I also know that for an author, especially a first-time author, publishing a book is exhilarating, and for many, the fulfillment of a lifetime dream.
Think about it for a minute. Browse the shelves of a library or your local bookstore, or even Amazon.com, and you’re looking at exceptional efforts made by extraordinary individuals, each with a passion to share his or her message with the world.
Not everyone, including myself, has the inclination or ambition to make such a mark on the world. For those of us who don’t, unless you know an author personally, it is very easy to take their efforts for granted. A book, just one book, represents hours, months, sometimes years of toil and trouble. While some consider it a labor of love, others may consider their book the worst “assignment” ever. I know; I’m married to an author. Remember?
So what can we as readers do to support an author? Our favorite author? If you’re like me, and if you’re reading this post, I’m assuming you have an interest in doing so. And if you’re reading THIS post because you’re interested in supporting Sheila Applegate and because you believe in her message, then I’ll use her as an example. Here is what you can do to help spread your enthusiasm for Sheila’s work (or any other author dear to you)…
- Buy her book, Enchanted One: The Portal to Love. Buy another one and gift it to a loved one. Or a friend. Or both.
- Donate a copy to your local library.
- TALK about the book. Word-of-mouth advertising is priceless!
- Follow her Virtual Book Tour. But don’t just read her introductory blog posts. Click the links! Visit the hosts blogs (they’re awesome); write comments. Show some love! Bloggers LOVE comments! Internet search engines love links. Follow an author on a virtual book tour, participate, and you’ll help make “noise” online.
- If she’s offering a reading at a local bookstore or other venue, like THIS one, GO! Ask her to sign your book.
- Bring a friend with you!
- Help arrange for a reading at a local venue.
- Write a book review
- Visit Goodreads. “Like” the book. Recommend the book. Leave a comment/review.
- Visit Amazon.com. “Like” the author. Like the book. Recommend the book. Leave a comment/review. Same goes for any other online book seller site…
- Are you a Twitter user? Borrow a link from the book tour and share with your followers. Or share your favorite quote. (Click to follow Sheila…)
- Are you on facebook? “Like” the author and/or the book and tell your friends why you like it.
- Are you a blogger? Ask your favorite author if he/she will provide a guest post
- What other social media platforms do you use? Google+? Pinterest? Use them to help spread the word.
- Share the book with your book club.
- Start a book club!
- Contact your favorite author and ask “what can I do to help spread the word?”
- Check out this blog post by Jody Hedlund for some more well thought out ideas.
- What ideas do you have? Do us all a favor and share them by submitting a comment below!
I had the distinct pleasure of working with Sheila Applegate as her Virtual Assistant and social media “Buzzmeister” on her virtual book tour. If you know her, you can’t help but get caught up in her enthusiasm for her work. If you don’t know her, I recommend you take a few minutes to read through some of her blog posts and get to know her, even if just a little. Your life may become just a little richer for your efforts. Mine did.
Books, Blogs and Beyond…
P.S. While I’m thinking of it, I would personally like to thank the bloggers who supported both Sheila and I on her book tour. It takes a village to sell a book. My compliments to all of Sheila’s “villagers”, the list of which can be found by clicking and following this link.
Connie Kuusisto is a social media enthusiast and as such provides “Virtual Solutions” to authors and small business owners who need and want an online presence but simply don’t have the time. Or the desire. Or the know-how. Your Buzz is her Biz. You can contact her at ckuusi-va(at)yahoo.com with ideas or suggestions or tweet her @ConnieKuusisto. You can also visit Social Media Buzzmeister on facebook. www.smBuzzmeister.com